Browsed by
Month: March 2018

Plastic toys in our baths, a factor for contamination

Plastic toys in our baths, a factor for contamination

“All plastic things in a liquid already polluted due to our washing become an areas with a bunch of bacteria and fungi” Scientists curiosity doesn’t have limit! Indeed, researchers from the Swiss Federal Institute of Aquatic Science and Technology EAWAG, the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School and the University of Illinois decided to study plastic toys that children can use in baths.   For this study, plastic ducks had been exposed 11 weeks in a baths with clean water and other ducks…

Read More Read More

Legionella longbeachae, legionnaires’ outbreak source

Legionella longbeachae, legionnaires’ outbreak source

In Europe, Legionella pneumophila is responsible for 95% of Legionnaires’ outbreaks. Among the remaining 5%, the causative agent is Legionella longbeachae.     This bacteria belongs to family Legionellaceae and was first isolated in 1980  in California (USA)  from a patient who had a pneumonia . Areas where it developed are still unknown. However the source of human infections are soils, and compost derived products such as bark and sawdust. In New-Zealand, a recent study had been about people hospitalized who had a pneumonia via Legionella longbeachae….

Read More Read More

Legionella biofilms

Legionella biofilms

  A biolfilm is a multicellular community of microorganisms composed of bacteria, fungi, algea or protozoa which develop on a surface. Microorganisms synthetise a matrix which allow a protection and adhesion and each group performs specialized metabolic functions. Biofilms are usually found in high humid areas, on solid substrate submerged in or exposed to an aqueous solution. It can also form as floating mats on liquid surfaces. Biofilms protect microrganisms from worse conditions for their developement. In the cycle of life for…

Read More Read More

Legionella conference at Baltimore Hilton 9-11 May 2018

Legionella conference at Baltimore Hilton 9-11 May 2018

  This year the on the NSF (National Science Foundation) organise on the 9,10,11 May 2018 a conference that will take place at the Hilton Baltimore           The subject ? Managing Legionella and Other Pathogens in Building Water Systems       Experts from worldwide, will discuss about Legionella management and prevention  and process to reduce possible developments.   Sharing of innovations developed on water treatment tests, water plumbing systems , design about plumbing and products to reduce the…

Read More Read More

Cooling tower a potential source of legionella contamination- Legionnaire’s outbreak

Cooling tower a potential source of legionella contamination- Legionnaire’s outbreak

Cooling towers: Exemples of COOLING TOWERS Cooling towers are structure which reject heat to the atmosphere in vapor. Legionella species occur in aquatic environements and can be transmit by aerosols, warm recirculating water such as cooling towers. That is the reason why, if the water is contaminated by legionella in the cooling tower, these bacteria could be rejected in the atmosphere. Consequently , people who inhalate the air could be infected.   The Melbourne case Feb 2018: Men and women…

Read More Read More